Saturday, January 16, 2010

Color Palettes - slides & paint


At work yesterday, I was pulling poor quality 35mm slides from the Ithaca College slide collection. I was choosing the slides to de-accession primarily based on color. Slides have three dye layers (cyan, yellow & magenta). When the cyan and yellow layers have disintegrated, only magenta is left. However, I happen to have all levels of red, magenta, cyan, yellow, and purple shades here. The palette of colors here is wonderful to view.

Last night I had dinner with some friends, one of whom is a painter (David Schaffner). He uses a piece of glass as his palette and this example is from one that he recently retired. I loved the contrast of the two different mediums, one - 35mm slides mounted in glass mounts, the other paint on glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment